- 3 pounds goat meat
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ½ Scotch bonnet pepper, minced
- ½ teaspoon allspice powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose meat seasoning
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 large white potato, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 to 4 whole allspice berries, crushed, or ½ teaspoon allspice powder
Trim meat, and cut into bite-size pieces. In a medium bowl, if using goat, add vinegar and water, and wash the meat.
In a small bowl, mix together one tablespoon of the curry powder, onion, scallion, garlic, ginger, thyme, Scotch bonnet pepper, allspice, black pepper and salt. Rub the mixture into the meat, cover, and marinate for at least two hours.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan, add the meat and sear until brown. Add remaining tablespoon of curry, cook slightly, and then add the water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low heat for 1 to 2 hours or until tender. Remove cover, add potato, carrot and allspice, cover, and cook for another 20 to 25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Serve over plain rice with a green salad.