- 1½ pounds fresh lamb shoulder, salted and peppered, floured and cut into chunks
- 3-4 tablespoons rendered pork fat or duck fat
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 1 large celery stalk, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree or paste, or to taste
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, crushed (more if preferred)
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- Several sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pound dried cannellini beans
- Bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth consisting of: 3 bay leaves
- Bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth consisting of: 2–3 cloves, crushed
- Bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth consisting of: 4 sprigs thyme
- Bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth consisting of: 4-5 sprigs parsley
- Bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth consisting of: 6 black peppercorns
- Bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth consisting of: 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ pound fresh smoked bacon chunks
- 2-pound piece of garlic sausage, cut in half
- 1½ pounds of pork belly, cut into chunks
- Rendered fat
- 1-2 cups bread crumbs
- 6 sprigs parsley, minced
To prepare lamb: Season the lamb liberally with salt and pepper and dust with flour. Melt fat in heavy saucepan and brown lamb in batches. Remove from pan, set aside.
In same pan, add a little more fat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Sauté until vegetables wilt and start to color. Add the garlic; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and tomato puree. Simmer for another minute or two. Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and rosemary, and simmer, covered, for 1½ hours. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use in cassoulet the next day.
To prepare beans: Soak the beans overnight in cold water or use quick-soaking method. Drain the beans and place in a large 8-quart pan with 4 quarts water. Add bouquet garni, bacon and garlic sausage and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Remove sausage after 30 minutes, cool, remove casing and cut into ½–inch slices. Continue cooking the beans until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes longer. Drain beans, reserving liquid.
To finish cassoulet: While beans are cooking, brown pork belly in rendered fat. Remove from skillet.
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Put lamb mixture and pork belly into the pot in which beans were cooked. Heat just until soft enough to break apart.
Season 4-quart casserole by rubbing it with garlic. To assemble the dish, begin by spreading half the beans in the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half the sausage slices, then half of the lamb-pork mixture. Repeat with remaining beans, sausage, and lamb-pork mixture. Add about one-half cup of bean liquor (or as much as needed) to moisten. Top with one-third of breadcrumbs, and drizzle with more rendered fat.
Bake for one hour, or until crumb topping is golden and crusty. Stir crumbs into dish. Add another third of breadcrumbs, drizzling with more fat. Bake another hour, or until this topping is also golden and crusty. Stir topping back into dish and add last third of breadcrumbs, drizzling with fat. Bake for final hour.