- 5 lbs. chicken wings
- 2-3 qt canola or blend oil (fry oil is optimal)
- 1 small white onion, diced (approximately 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (approximately 1-1/2 cups)
- 8 oz jar harissa paste
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 qt chicken stock
- 2 cups hot sauce (we use Frank’s)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees
Place wings in an oven-safe baking pan at least 2-inches deep. Cover with oil and place parchment paper on top. Wrap entire pan with foil. Cook for an hour and a half or until wings are for tender, but not falling off bone. Let cool in fat for 20-30 mins before removing with slotted spoon or skimmer. (Oil can be strained and re-used multiple times.) Once wings have completely cooked, deep fry in 350 degree oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisped to your liking.
Over medium heat saute onion, garlic, ginger, and carrots until soft and browned (about twenty minutes). Add all remaining ingrediants except hot sauce and simmer for at least 30 mins. Puree in blender until smooth and let cool. Mix hot sauce into the harissa and coat wings to your liking.