- Sesame oil
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup carrots, julienned
- ¼ cup white or red radish, julienned
- 1½ cups rice (short grain or sushi)
- ½ cup of shucked oysters
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seed
- ½ teaspoon sundried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions*or green onions
- Equal parts: Hot chili paste
- Equal parts: Light soy sauce
- Equal parts: Rice wine vinegar
- Equal parts: Sesame oil
- Plus 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Sauté the mushrooms, carrots and the radish lightly with very little oil. Wash the rice, then add the rice and sautéed veggies to the pot. Add 1½ cups of water, and bring it to boil. Add the oysters, cover and reduce heat to low. After 10 minutes turn off the heat and let it sit for another 15 minutes.
For the sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. When the rice is ready, fold the oysters into the rice mixture. Do not overwork the mixture.
Spoon the rice-oyster mixture onto plates and serve the hot sauce on the side.
About this recipe
*Spring onions are found all over Cape Cod; Dr. Chun uses them in this dish when available.