- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers packed in water (rinsed, drained, blotted dry) or 2 cups fresh roasted red peppers, skins removed
- ⅔ cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 slice of bread (crust removed) torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of ½ large lemon)
Toast the walnuts in a medium skillet for 5 minutes over medium heat until golden and fragrant. Cool and place in the food processor and pulse 5 times.
Heat the olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until translucent but not browned. Cool and add to the food processor.
Add the remaining ingredients and process until the walnuts are very finely chopped and no large chunks remain. Scrape down the sides of the processor as often as necessary to incorporate all of the ingredients.