- 16 pickled malagueta or cumari peppers*, lightly crushed with the side of a knife
- 1 small yellow onion (about 4 ounces), very finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white part only, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Juice of 4 or 5 large limes (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix to blend. Let rest for a few minutes before serving to let the flavors meld. The sauce can be prepared the day before and refrigerated, covered with plastic film.
* Both peppers can be found in jars at Gol Brazilian Supermarket (see Resources). They are the small, red-hot peppers found in bottles on the tables of Fogo Brazilian BBQ.