- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 8-ounce package of sliced button or baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 16-ounce cans light chicken or beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the barley and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired at this point, then pour the mixture into a 2-quart casserole.
Pour boiling water over the ingredients so that it covers them by a half inch. Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the barley is tender. Check after 15 minutes to see if you need to add more liquid for the barley to cook thoroughly. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.